Zwift Rides and a Plant-Based Diet Helped This Cyclist Lose 103 Pounds

July 10, 2021
a man wearing sunglasses and a hat: “I can’t even begin to express enough thanks for how much cycling has changed my life for the better.”

Though I was still able to move around and even engage in active hobbies like drumming, the added weight made me uncomfortable. I found that I was winded walking up a flight of stairs and had to eat Tums as if they were candy. These unpleasant things weren’t how they used to be in terms of my overall health and wellness.

One morning in early 2015 at the age of 32, out of sheer curiosity I stepped on the scale to see that I had gained over 100 pounds since graduating high school. It wasn’t a complete surprise following my change in lifestyle, but it left me feeling fairly self-conscious, depressed, and at an all-time low in terms of self-esteem. My weight topped out at 278 pounds.

From there, I began to make changes to my diet. I knew changes overall would be gradual, but I recognized I’d get there eventually. I’ve gone from fast food and frozen pizzas nearly every day, due to my family’s busy schedule, to planning ahead when I can and making smarter nutrition choices.

I’ve never felt as in tune with my body as I do now. I can’t even begin to express enough thanks for how much cycling has changed my life for the better. I have more energy than I’ve ever had. As I approach 40, I am able to keep up with my kids.

In May of 2019, I hit one major goal: I reached a weight of 200 pounds. Several months later, I found myself back to my high school weight of 175 pounds once more, for a total loss of 103 pounds. I couldn’t be happier when I look to the future.

If I, of all people, can change my terrible eating habits and get myself moving, anyone can. The goal is within reach—it’s all about making a few adjustments to what you put into your body and finding a physical activity you enjoy.

Post Advertisement
Post Advertisement